Friday, December 12, 2008

BB: Coq Au Vin

Where has the time gone? When I started this blog, my intention was to write something at least three times a week. Now, more than week and has passed with no new posts. I have been cooking; I swear. I make dinner at home every day. I've also squeezed in some cupcakes here and there. I didn't even make my entry for the Barefoot Bloggers on time! I made this a week in advance so that I would have "time" to blog. Argh!


This week's recipe was Coq Au Vin, as chosen by Bethany of this little piggy went to market,
which can be found in Back to Basics, on page 116.


I was apprehensive about preparing this recipe for a couple of reasons:
  • I tried making Coq Au Vin years ago using this recipe. It was HORRIBLE. The chicken was dry and red from the wine. Since then, I have always been nervous of trying it again.

  • It required using an entire chicken, cut into 8 pieces. While I have attempted to cut a whole chicken before, I always lacked confidence.

There are some things you should note: In the book, the recipe is double what it is online. However, the amount of cognac (brandy) remains the same. Online reviews on the Food Network site indicated that the liquor taste was too strong, etc. Therefore, I used the cookbook recipe and cut the hard stuff in half. If you don't have the book...um, why don't you have it? Well, if you don't have the book, just take the online recipe and use just 2 tablespoons of cognac (brandy).

Once I started carving the chicken, I just channeled Ina. In a recent Back to Basics episode, she carved a chicken with ease, so I kept that image in mind while wielding my blade. Having a SHARP knife is definitely key. I wish that I had pictures to show my triumph....it was masterful. Next time, I'll have my sous chef man the camera.


I served this with egg noodles and a crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce. Even though I halved the recipe, it serves a boat-load of people. We still have leftovers in the fridge. We are pretty much white meat people, so when I make it again, I will reduce the recipe even more, and only use chicken breasts.

Click here to see what other Barefoot Bloggers thought!

2 comments:

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Coq au vin is such a big endeavor, but well worth it! Christmas is such a busy time of year, isn't it?!

Reeni said...

I bet it was delicious! You did a great job! I don't think I could cut up a whole chicken without it coming out a mess.