Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ultimate Mac & Cheese or Everything Tastes Better With A Bacon Topping

Okay, I know, it's a long title. But isn't it true?
Last night I made Tyler Florence's Ultimate Mac & Cheese. The recipe itself is nothing special, but it is the inclusion of bacon that makes it the "Ultimate". Good thing I went to the gym today!
The bacon and onion topping:
I followed the recipe online, except I used 4 cups sharp cheddar & 1 1/2 cups fontina. I also used skim milk, not for any reason except that is what we have in the house. In my haste to finish so that my sous chef could mix, I pour the entire amount of cheese into the milk mixture....oops! My husband helped out and grated parmesan cheese to put on top. It made the most perfect crust!
The recipe calls for pouring it into a 3 quart baking dish. I don't remember what or how I made it before, but this is a 2 1/2 quart dish. I put a baking sheet underneath it, just in case.
Here it is after taking it out of the oven and putting the bacon/onion mixture on top.

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

that looks so good!!!