Sunday, November 23, 2008

I present, Iron Cupcake: Cranberry

I am so excited, I finished my first Iron Cupcake: Earth Challenge! This month's secret ingredient is cranberry, one of my fall favorites!


My creation: Cranberry Orange Cupcakes with Candied Cranberry Buttercream

Are there prizes? You bet! Prizes this month are provided by:

A one of a kind pin doll from the LOLLIPOP WORKSHOP
An illustrated book by COOKIE SUNSHINE
A pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES
Also, IronCupcake:Earth is excited to welcome back CAKESPY, who is now going to be doing a piece for our winner each month until further notice!
As an added bonus for November only we have a delicious apron compliments of SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY.

Corporate prize providers:
HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS
HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson
Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers

If you want to be a part of Iron Cupcake:Earth, visit IRON CUPCAKE!

Voting begins Sunday, November 30th and ends Friday, December 5th at noon at NO ONE PUTS CUPAKE IN A CORNER

Okay, now that I have you all excited about Iron Cupcake, check out my cupcake submission.

First, I had to make cranberry sauce.
6 oz fresh cranberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Bring water and sugar to a boil, add the cranberries.
Lower heat and let bubble for 10 minutes.
This should give you a yield of about 1 1/4 cups cranberry sauce.
Set aside to cool.

The Cupcake
makes 24 cupcakes
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1/2 tsp orange extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups cranberry sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer.
While that's going, wisk the flour, bp, salt, and pie spice in a seperate bowl.
Add the eggs, one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until well incorporated.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture until just mixed.
Mix in the cranberry sauce by hand.
Fill cupcake pans about 3/4 way full (about 2 tbsp).


Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.

Candied Cranberry Buttercream

Candied Cranberries
6 oz cranberries
1 cup sugar
Put the cranberries in a buttered dish, and cover with sugar.
Place in a 350 degree oven and let cook for 1 hour.

For the Buttercream:
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 lbs powdered sugar
2 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 cup milk

Mix all ingredients together and add the candied cranberries.
Top the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!!

Phew, I'm exhausted....how about you?

3 comments:

Reeni said...

Congrats on your first entry! They look so delicious, I love the buttercream. I bet that just melts in your mouth. You have my vote when it starts!

Calm In The Kitchen said...

I'll take all the votes I can get, thanks!

Reeni said...

I went and voted for you! Good luck!