Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies


It is a classic battle. Some like them chewy, some like them crispy, but no matter how they are preferred they are always a great comfort when well made. I'm talking about chocolate chip cookies. I wanted to bake something and this is the fastest recipe that I could pull out of my head to both distract my three-year old's need to play with some new paints that she just received and to satisfy my need for something sweet that wasn't leftover Halloween candy!


This actually came from my mother-in-law who sent home cookies one day after a visit. I have always made the cookies from my trusted Once Upon A Tart cookbook. She too used that same recipe, but tweaked it just a bit so that she could make a smaller batch. A little less butter, a little less flour...and BAM, you can halve the recipe in no time flat!

And now, when I want some quick comfort of cookies that are ready in no time, I make these. Okay, on to the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
(this recipe makes 20 cookies, but you can always double it!)
  • 1 stick of butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp salt (I use kosher, cuz I like the texture in cookies)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • scant 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Whip the butter and sugar together until creamy, add the egg and vanilla.
Add the salt and bs, then the flour 1/2 cup at a time mixing only until blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop onto cookie sheets.
I use a cookie scoop, I think it is 2 tablespoons.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: