Thursday, November 6, 2008

chicken and blue cheese panini with carmelized onion jam


Whew! That's a long title! Ah well, I guess I am channeling my inner Giada. Have you ever noticed that the names of her recipes are titled with everything that's in the recipe? Okay, moving on...

It was sandwich night yesterday and I had some extra blue cheese that I wanted to use up so that basically inspired this recipe. First, I made a carmelized onion jam:

Onion Jam

this makes enough to top 4 sandwiches
One large yellow onion
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries

Cut onion into half moon slices. Place over medium heat, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 20 minutes or until carmelized. Add next three ingredients and set over low heat for another 20 minutes or so...until the vinegar is basically absorbed.

Grill two chicken breast halves. Set aside to cool and cut in half lengthwise. Meanwhile set out about 4 oz of blue cheese to soften.

I would use a thicker bread, but all I had was bread for my three year old's sandwiches. I also used my George Foreman Grill.

I assembled the sandwiches with the blue cheese, top with a piece of chicken and then with the onion jam. Then I just put them inside the grill and that was that!

They were delicious and opened up a whole new area of sandwiches. Next time I'm trying goat cheese instead of blue, balsamic instead of rice wine vinegar, and sun-dried tomatoes (my other love) instead of dried cranberries. Or, maybe golden raisins and fontina. Oh, the possibilities!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: