Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ina Garten is my hero

Today I met Ina Garten. Okay, she never got my name, but she said my youngest was going to be a heartbreaker! Why am I getting so excited about a person who is just as normal as can be talking to me, my mother-in-law, and my 9 month old?

Maybe it is because as soon as the Barefoot Contessa music comes on the Food Network, my 3 year old screams, "it's INA!!" and runs to the couch to settle in for an episode. In her enviable kitchen in the Hamptons, she makes everything with her catch phrase, "how easy is that?"...and usually it is! She has her hubby, Jeffery, gay BFF's, and the locals over for fabulous meals. She never seems to fuss about what to do, in fact most meals are served in her kitchen.

Maybe it is because she doesn't say "BAM" every other word, or wax poetic about butter, sour cream, and mayonnaise. She doesn't have weird phrases like EVOO, stoup, or S&P.

Don't get me wrong, I have made many a Rachael Ray meal in my day and I want to hug Paula Deen every time I see her. It's just that Ina is what she is. When Ina is on, there is an informality about her. Like you are sitting in the kitchen cooking with her. Her hints are practical and her style is sublime. Everything that I have ever made comes out beautifully, Ina has never done me wrong.


Exhibit A: dinner a couple of weeks ago.
Chicken Ceasar Salad Sandwiches




Okay, maybe I do know why I was so excited....

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

jillian said...

I am so jealous! I love Ina, and Barefoot Contessa doesn't seem so overproduced the way other Food Network shows are.

Tanner's Mom said...

That sandwich looks SO good! Recipe post is a must!!

Sue said...

You're so lucky to have met the Contessa. I adore her too. And thanks so much for stopping by...

Chef E said...

I love her, and funny I had one of my culinary students years ago tell me I remind them of her when I worked at the culinary school.

Nichole said...

That's so cool! And the sandwich looks delicious.