Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apples and Honey Cupcakes



The beginning of this month was Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. It is celebrated traditionally by eating apples dipped in honey. While that is a wonderful sweet treat on its own, I thought that I could try to go one step further. In honor of that, I decided to try and make cupcakes for my husband take to work.
I spent a lot of time researching various recipes for apple cupcakes. All of them involved using applesauce in some way. I had no applesauce in the house and wasn't about to buy any so the first step was making applesauce.






Homemade Applesauce




Peel and core 1 medium to large apple,
cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.
Put in a small saucepan with 2 tbsp of water.

Add a cinnamon stick
Bring to a boil and let bubble for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, discard the cinnamon stick, and mash.
(I used my mini-blender)

This should give you a yield of at least 1 cup of applesauce.

Set this aside to cool down.



The next step was the cupcakes. I followed a basic vanilla cupcake recipe that I have had in my arsenal for a while. Now that I am blogging...I can't remember where I got it.

The Cupcake
makes 24 cupcakes
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1 & 1/4 cup white sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 & 1/4 tsp apple pie spice
1 cup applesauce
1 medium apple finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer.
While that's going, wisk the flour, bp, salt, and pie spice in a seperate bowl.
Add the eggs, one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until well incorporated.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture until just mixed.Mix in the applesauce and apples by hand.
Fill cupcake pans about 3/4 way full (about 2 tbsp).
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Set aside to cool.

The Frosting
(This is a basic cream cheese frosting, just with LOADS of honey!)
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
Cream the cream cheese and butter.
With mixer on low, add powdered sugar.
Add honey and vanilla.
Dollop on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!

1 comment:

Tanner's Mom said...

You are very couragous in the kitchen! I would not have not have the guts (or smarts) to try & make my own applesauce! Now you've got me wanting to give it a try!